St. Walter School is a State of Illinois accredited school. Our teachers hold current teaching licenses issued by the State Board of Education. We are the largest school in the Diocese of Joliet. Founded in 1952, St. Walter School has been a model of educational excellence, providing a well-rounded curriculum to children from preschool through the eighth grade.
The St. Walter School advantage is reflected in the philosophy that permeates the total education program and the lives of the faculty and students. This philosophy challenges students to improve the world by sharing Gospel values and living Christ’s message of salvation. They grow to understand the roots of their faith and their responsibilities as Christians.
- Students explore their faith through Scripture, Community, Service and Worship.
- We stress the value of self-discipline and commitment.
- Our faculty and staff are role models who share their faith, their talents and their care with each student
- While not all students who come to the St. Walter School are Catholic, all share experiences of faith and values.
- We encourage each student to accept the challenges of being a Christian in tomorrow’s world.
Our program offers a challenging education. High standards, strong motivation, effective discipline and an atmosphere of caring combine to foster excellence, and a high quality of student performance is supported by the evidence.
- St. Walter School’s curriculum meets all state and diocesan regulations and guidelines. In addition, diocesan guidelines require a strong religious education curriculum.
- Our faculty members are fully qualified professionals committed to bringing out the best in their students as they grow in knowledge, faith and values.
- An emphasis is placed on studies. As a result, our students develop valuable organizational skills and an effective range of study skills to ensure success..
- St. Walter School employs the most current instructional technology to enhance student learning including Smart Boards, iPad’s, laptops, and Chromebooks.
- St. Walter School students enter high school well prepared for the rigors of a secondary education. Our students are regularly placed in advanced classes. Over half of the graduating class are placed in at least one Honors Class.
- An average of 90% of our students, taking the high school Spanish placement test, are exempt from Spanish I and are able to enter directly into Spanish II.
- Students are well prepared in the mathematics and science disciplines and are repeatedly accepted into the high school math and science specialty programs/academies.
Values which promote understanding and service to the elderly and the handicapped, the poor and the ill, are an important part of the St. Walter School experience. As a faith community, we emphasize those values which encourage students to accept others rather than exclude them, to understand the difference between right and wrong, and to commit themselves to serve God by serving others.
St. Walter School is committed to the development of the whole student. Extracurricular activities are regarded as an important part of the total learning experience. A variety of choices are offered to reflect the uniqueness of each student, to generate a healthy sense of competition, to create a spirit of cooperation, and to foster both leadership and creativity.
- The emphasis is on participation by all students.
- Drama, fine arts and community service programs are integral parts of the educational process.
- Appropriate social and cultural activities, under school sponsorship, provide relaxation and creative outlets.
- Athletic opportunities include volleyball, basketball, and cheerleading.
- Student extracurriculars include Math Team, Yearbook, Band, Choir, Drama Club, Handbell Choir, Chess Club, Engineering Club, Mighty Mathematicians, Walk to Run Club, Student Council, Piano, Concert Choir, Drama Club and Knitting Club.